You Disagree With the Insurance Settlement From Your Property Insurance Claim – What to Do?

You filed your property insurance claim, went through the insurance claim recovery process, met with the insurance adjuster who inspected your property, and received an insurance settlement offer. You weren’t pleased?

The first thing, if there is not any “final release language” on either the front or the back of their check/draft, is for you to go ahead and cash their check. As long as you haven’t signed away your rights, the signing of the insurance company’s check doesn’t give you’re your right to try to recover additional insurance money by reopening your claim.

However, if you disagree with your insurance company, and want to take action, here are some options:

  1. Ask that everything be explained. Have their insurance representative go over the details with you, very carefully and fully.
  2. Ask to review their insurance adjuster’s work. There may have been some simple mistakes, or items that were overlooked.
  3. You can ask to escalate your concern to someone higher in your insurance company’s “Claim Department”. This may or may not be productive, but might work in your favor.
  4. Discuss your issue with your State’s Department of Insurance – just remember that they are not a consumer protection agency, only a licensing agency.
  5. Arbitration. You maybe should consider to Demand Arbitration over your dispute(s) of your claim. Arbitration can be binding or non-binding; so know which you are prepared to follow. Their policy will usually include language explaining just how and when you can DemandArbitration. Know your rights, both as a consumer and as a party to their insurance contract, regarding this avenue for settling your disputes.
  6. Appraisal. This is a specialized form of arbitration, and you almost for sure, will need your own Public Insurance Adjuster to represent you. Your Appraiser and their Appraiser will both have to agree on a (tie-breaker) “Umpire”, and that person’s decision will be final and binding. However the “Umpire” should only be involved to resolve anything that both your Appraiser and their Appraiser, can’t agree upon and resolve.
  7. Public Insurance Adjuster. Having the right Public Insurance Adjuster can be your very best option. A licensed Public Insurance Adjuster is an expert at reopening and renegotiating a claim for additional money. He or she should have experience in your property claim situation; and should have a track record of recovering millions of additional dollars for underpaid insurance claims.
  8. Attorney. This is not legal advice, just for informational purposes…You might believe that the last course of action would be to hire an attorney. However, a PublicInsurance Adjuster usually has more experience than almost all attorneys in resolving insured Property Insurance claims. And actually, attorney’s often hire Public Insurance Adjusters when a client brings them a property insurance settlement matter.

If you are dissatisfied with your insurance settlement, unsure if it was properly paid or not, and even if you feel that it was paid fully and completely, DO NOT STOP THERE.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *